Jan 18, 2011

Drake Credits Aaliyah For Helping Develop His Singing Style "I Just Found Comfort In All Of Her Music & Melody Choices" [Video]



When Aaliyah Dana Haughton died in a plane crash August 25, 2001 in a plane crash, she left a void that has yet to be filled.

Sure, there are a few talented female R&B artists out today, but none with the style and charisma that Aaliyah had.

Yesterday the singer would have turned 32, and like J. Cole, Toronto rapper Drake misses her. He credits Aaliyah with helping him develop his singing style.

"Aaliyah has probably had the most impact on my career because when I made a choice to start singing, it was because of something my father had told me, which was, 'There's no rapper out there that sings and raps and does both things well.'

"And he's like, 'In order to be successful, you're going to need something other than what everyone else is doing.

“So when I started singing, I was rapping already at the time so I had an identity in rap but when I started singing, I needed something to reference.

"I didn't ever want it to be a male because then I would sound like that person, so I just found comfort in all of Aaliyah's music. And her melody choices and the things she talks about and how she conveyed these amazing emotions but she never got too sappy. She always kept it G."

No comments:

Post a Comment