Apr 13, 2013

LL Cool J Speaks On 'Accidental Racist' Controversy On Jay Leno. "I Would Never Compare The History Of The Confederate Flag With A Du-Rag"

 

Legendary rapper/actor LL Cool J and country singer Brad Paisley stirred up controversy recently with their song "Accidental Racist." While they both seemed to have good intentions in making the track, the final product probably wasn't what either of them had hoped for.

LL visited The Tonight Show with Jay Leno yesterday to explain what he meant by his lyrics in the song.

"I can't defend the song, but I can clarify my intentions," LL said. "There's a lyric in the song where I say 'if you don't judge my du-rag I won't judge your red flag.' I in no way would ever compare the history of the confederate flag [with a du-rag]. Which when you think about the rapes, tortures, the murders, the lynchings. All of the things associated with the confederate flag with a du-rag. However, when you think about a kid like Trayvon Martin, and you think about some oft he things that happen in society based on clothing. When you put it in it's proper context it makes sense. I would never, ever suggest to anyone that we should just forget slavery and act like that didn't happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment